Update 2: I compiled a table with more Covid-19 coloring books from other inspired sources.
Friday, April 10, 2020 (“Good Friday”)
I have created a booklet titled “SARS-CoV-2 – COVID-19 | A Coloring Book” that parents who are spending a lot of time with kids at home might appreciate to get the little ones busy while they rest a moment. In this time where in most countries families cannot gather for the traditional religious or Spring vacations, I hope that this will be useful in some manner.
The coloring booklet was an offshoot idea from another booklet that was intended to teach about PyMOL scripting. That scripting booklet is still in the making, but due to the situation I created another booklet with more SARS-CoV-2 PDB structures to illustrate PyMOL scripts and language options.
“SARS-CoV-2 – COVID-19 |
PyMOL – Exploring the 3D PDB
The booklets can be downloaded from the links below. I also made reduced file sizes as “low resolution” versions for those that might be on slow connections:
- “SARS-CoV-2 – COVID-19 | A Coloring Book”
- PyMOL – Exploring the 3D PDB structures of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19
I hope that at least one of these will help some to increase their molecular graphics skills. For the coloring booklet, clearly some crayons are needed rather than a computer (unless, of course, little ones are now better at PhotoShop than adults, which might in the end not be so surprising?!)
Famous 17th century French poet and fabulist Jean de La Fontaine ended his fable “The lion and the rat” with the lesson that:
“Patience et longueur de temps
Font plus que force ni que rage.“
“Patience and length of time may sever,
What strength and empty wrath could never. “
But the first sentence of the fable could be approximately translated as “As much as we can, we must help everyone”
So let’s all breathe, be patient and nice to each other while we await for better days, with patience and understanding.
References (links to tutorials)
- The images in booklet “PyMOL – Exploring the 3D PDB structures of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19” were created with PyMOL via scripting. This booklet contains an “index” to PyMOL commands on the last 2 pages.
- The images in booklet “SARS-CoV-2 – COVID-19 | A Coloring Book” were created with the molecular graphics software ChimeraX.
- Both booklets were edited an assembled within RStudio.
- Other references, credits and image credits are provided within each booklet.
- De La Fontaine Fables: