Becoming a Data Scientist
If you are interested to become a data scientist, the following free resources and books would be very helpful.
Free books using R
These and other books aan be accessed for free on bookdown.org
(Note: bookdown is the software used to edit them.)
Free books on using Python
- Python for Everybody, Exploring Data Using Python 3, Dr. Charles R. Severance
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python 3, Peter Wentworth, Jeffrey Elkner, Allen B. Downey, and Chris Meyers
- Learning with Python How to Think Like a Computer Scientist by Allen Downey, Jeff Elkner and Chris Meyers.
- Python for biologists (2013 edition), Dr Martin Jones [Archived]
- Note: while the newer book is not free, the site pythonforbiologists.com provides a free download of exercises and datasets.
Free books on statistics and machine learning
This list is derived from a LinkedIn post. Some links have been modified to go directly to the content.
• Mathematics for Machine Learning: https://mml-book.github.io/
• Introduction to Modern Statistics: https://openintro-ims.netlify.app/
• An Introduction to Statistical Learning: https://www.statlearning.com/
• Dive into Deep Learning: https://d2l.ai/index.html
• Forecasting – Principles and Practice: https://otexts.com/fpp3/
Book covers are from listed materials. For information only.